Outreach and Engagement Fellowship Program
Title: Outreach and Engagement Fellow
Reports To: Director of Community Outreach and Engagement and work closely with the Director of the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program.
Position Overview: To provide support to AFTDJ’s community outreach and engagement efforts by building further trust and expanding our engagement with immigrant populations. The Outreach and Engagement Fellow will be responsible for building relationships with individuals, grass-roots leaders, community-based, including faith-based, organizations in Boston (specifically Roxbury, East Boston, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, and Dorchester) and other metro-Boston communities (such as Chelsea, Everett, Cambridge, and Quincy), to expand and enhance our reach to immigrant and other populations who require beginner English language instruction and related support services. The goal of this position is to better engage with community members and organizations, improve awareness of AFTDJ to result in making our immigrant focused programs and services accessible and trusted community resources.
Responsibilities and Duties
Successful candidates would spend 12 months as a half-time (20 hours a week) Outreach and Engagement Fellow, responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an Outreach Plan
- Identifying key community organizations and individuals with which AFTDJ should partner in promoting and further developing its engagement program
- Outreach to target organizations through email, phone calls & one-on-one meetings
- Attending relevant community meetings to represent AFTDJ
- Providing information to our audience regarding our programs for immigrants, and work with ESOL program leads to recruit potential students and secure program registrations
- Making recommendations for AFTDJ program expansion and improvement
- Resident of Roxbury, East Boston, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain or Roslindale
- High school diploma required
- Enrollment in an advanced degree or professional certification program preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel
- Bilingual in Spanish & English
- Applicants will provide their own personal computer
A Faith That Does Justice is pleased to offer this position thanks in part to a grant from Eastern Bank
About A Faith That Does Justice
A Faith That Does Justice (AFTDJ) is an interfaith organization that challenges people to experience God by living their faith intentionally in service to others. We do this by showing how unjust societal structures marginalize people and by acting to help those in need.
AFTDJ’s core program is our free English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program for Boston’s immigrant communities. The ESOL program is offered to those who are seeking to improve their English language skills as a first step towards language proficiency and ultimately advanced language instruction, education and job training and placement. Participants in the ESOL program are representative of Boston’s larger adult immigrant community and reside in diverse neighborhoods including Roxbury, East Boston, and Dorchester.
Also central to our mission are Community Meetings, public events held 3 times per year that focus on social justice issues. Our most recent meeting was “Health Care Disparities: What can we do about it?” Workshops are smaller public sessions led by invited speakers offering faith-based presentations challenging participants to take action on behalf of people who have historically been marginalized.
Type of Position: One-year Fellowship
Application deadline: Open until filled
Pay: $20 per hour
Schedule: 20 hours/week, flexible days & times
Work remotely: Yes
Apply by submitting cover letter and resume to:
Michele Fisher, Director Of Community Outreach at email@example.com